A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

an aoa given out at university




Hello my fellow scribes! I'm very happy about this blog, thank you Bridget for seting it up...you are doing a great job! Now here is one of my scrolls. I have done it for University but when I scaned it in it did not have the recepients name on it. I got the idea from a page of the book of houres made for Galeazzo di Sanseverino and later owned by Alfonso of Aragon, Naples c. 1470 to 1480. I could not do the whole illumination as it is a lot of work and the size of the illumiation was to big for the scroll I wanted to use so I just took the inside border.


I will scan the original later and post it so you can compare.


What I would like to know: Do you think it is ok to just take the inner border? Has anyone of you suggestion on how to do better on the shading or the gold?




oh sory I forgot to introduce myself: I'm Ailitha de Ainwyk. I started with the SCA 4 years ago and started calligraphy and illumination one year later. I'm also one of Bridgets pupil...so she is responsible for getting me hoked and glued to calligraphy and illumination!


And here is the original!

7 comments:

Racaire said...

...what a lovely scroll and border!

I am a beginner to illumination but because my experience of tin miniature paintings I dare to suggest that a very thin brush (for the last white highlights) and maybe more layers of different shades of the same colour (getting darker or lighter than the base colour - depending on the effect you want) would be helpful - you get a good 3D effect using more layers and the transitions are softer for the eye and with a last thin highlight you get a beautiful extra accentuation
(but this are only 2 cents of a former tin miniature painter)

Bridget said...

Having seen this in the origional I have to say the image doesn't do it justice.

I can answer the first question , that for an AOA this is a stunning scroll.

Such a border is perfectly aceptable and is a practice often done by SCA scribes.

The award scrolls are really the doccumentation for the award given. 'proof of purchase' if you like. It is just our crazy SCA tradition that makes us go mad and produce stunning works of art instead of standard writ / grant style doccumnets which were heavy on the words and practically miserly on the illumination. So yes such a border is perfectly acceptable.A lot of scribes will do that use a border but remove the illumination and use the space for teh text.

what shading exactly are you referring to?

Personally, ( remember I saw this scroll for real,) I was envious of your gold work you did this with paint, right? I can not ever seem to get my paint to co-operate and come out as fine as you managed. So I am curious how you did that!

I hear a lot of very complimentary words said about your work when it gets passed out in court.

Especially for the scroll you did for Crown ( I don't know if you have any images of that one.)

Ailitha said...

For the gold I used paint and it took me houres as it thickened every second minute so I had to dib my very thin brush into a drop of water before I dibed it into the gold paint. I have images of the crown scrolls and will post them if you like?!

Racaire said...

that would be wonderful :D

Scribe with Gold said...

Hi. You're scroll is beautiful. What kind of paint did you use for the gold? For detail work I tend to use a 30//0 or 20/0 brush. Your detail is awesome.
Akiko

Ailitha said...

Thank you Akiko! The gold paint I used is a "Schminke" goldpaint I think. Bridget gave it to me for starters as I did not know at that time how to make gesso and the use of goldleaf. Bridget, any comments?
The brush I used is my favorit one right now, it is from "boesner" and it has the thickness (?) 2/mm. It is of redhair marten (Rotmarder in German).

Racaire said...

I love Rotmarder Brushes... :D
I use two 'rein Rotmarder' 4/0 (Revell - Painta Luxus P200) and one of the brushes lost some additional hairs a long time ago, while I was painting tin miniatures :)
(4/0 - thickness at the base about 1mm)