A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

book reccomendation

Masterpieces of Illumination: The World's Most Famous Manuscripts 400 To 1600 (Hardcover)
by Ingo F. Walther, Norbert Wolf

this is Taaschen's reprint of the book
Codices Illustres
but at a fraction of the cost.

I have heard from a scribe's list that it is a decent reproduction and worth having.

I have Codices Illustres and it is a worthy book!I use it ALL the time...


again you can look for it via amazon through the links on the right hand side of the blog. All nice and easy. For the german and austrian amazon search links use the Author name as a reference. The book costs between 24,99 US and 19- euro. I paid 90- euro for my origional CI and thatwas on sale.

1 comment:

Genevieve la flechiere said...

I'd never seen or heard of this book before University, and was astonished it was so cheap.
My own copy arrived a couple of weeks ago - wow.
It is *full* of artwork I've never seen before. I've found that several (English language) illumination books keep referring to the same pieces. This book is very strong on German pieces and art in German collections, which is wonderful. ('Ottonian' art is almost unknown in English-language surveys of illumination.)
I find a lot of art history commentary hard to follow, but this book is very readable, though I think translation's a bit awkward in places.