A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

period doccuments... wowsers

a very large listing with pictures of period doccuments ... you know the unilluminated sort...

Genevieve, this is exactly the sort of thing you love :)


Scribe with Gold said...

WOW what a site! The perfect site to hide from the cold winds and misty rain. ;) Do you mind if share this link with some other scribes from my area?
Akiko who's very excited you shared this site. :)

Bridget said...

I am assuming that links of this sort are fairly public domain. I found it through one of the blog links on your site... so...
It is information and it should be shared.


Lia de Thornegge said...

Oh, that is brilliant. So much to look through!

Now I am intensely curious, what's with those documents that are 'indented' at the top. I saw a few that were just notched at the top, called indented attestation , agreement over pasture, lease and one that was specifically Indenture of apprenticeship 1439.

My first thought was that there are two copies of these documents and the indentations are used to identify that the proper document is brought in, but.. I've no idea. Does anyone know what this is all about?

Lia de Thornegge said...

Well, ok, I decided to check out the word in an etymology dictionary and found this:

Indenture "contract for services" first recorded 1304, from Anglo-Fr. endenture, from O.Fr. endenteure "indentation," from endenter. Such contracts (especially between master craftsmen and apprentices) were written in full identical versions on a sheet of parchment, which was then cut apart in a zigzag, or "notched" line. Each party took one, and the genuineness of a document of indenture could be proved by juxtaposition with its counterpart.

But how that is possible in the agreement over pasture when there are twenty six seals I don't know.

Bridget said...

My apprenticship "contract" looks like those, without the seals. I will post an image if anyone wants to see it?

By the way one of the meanings of the word indent is to 'cut into zig-zags, to divide along a zigzagged line.! - source Chambers Etymologial English Dictonary.

Lia de Thornegge said...

Ooh! Yes, Bridget, please! I definately want to see it!

Bridget said...


the image is quite large so be warned. Photobucket is down for maintenance atm.

Lia de Thornegge said...

Fantastic writ, Bridget.

Bridget said...

Yeah Master Harold does astounding work. You shuold see his letter to me. Mini works of art all on their own. I treasure everything he's ever given me.

Genevieve la flechiere said...

Wow, great selection, thank you Bridget!
An 'indenture' is a contract document, typically between a craftsman and an apprentic.
It got its name from the indented line torn or cut between the two identical copies of the contract.

in‧den‧ture  /ɪnˈdɛntʃər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[in-den-cher] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, verb, -tured, -tur‧ing.

–noun 1. a deed or agreement executed in two or more copies with edges correspondingly indented as a means of identification.
2. any deed, written contract, or sealed agreement.
3. a contract by which a person, as an apprentice, is bound to service.
4. any official or formal list, certificate, etc., authenticated for use as a voucher or the like.
5. the formal agreement between a group of bondholders and the debtor as to the terms of the debt.

Byxe said...

My apprentice contact is also kind of like that. Here's the text for it http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/dermit/apprentice/anna.html