A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Some book reccomendations

My master, Master Harold von Aurebach has graciously sent to me a little list of books he reccomends. I will pass them along :).

1: "Illuminated Manuscripts and Their Makers" by Rowan Watson is published
by V&A Publications (2003), 160 Brompton Road, London SW3 1HW ISBN
1-8109-6606-9
This is a very good overview of many different styles of initial
letter and border decoration taken from manuscripts in the V&A
collection.


2:"Tesori Miniati" by Maria Gatti Perer and Maio Marubbi (1995) Silviana
Editoriale is published by Amilcare Pizzi S p A of Milano, and is
another overview of medieval and rennaissance from collections in Bergamo and
Brescia, Italy. What I really like about this book is that most of the
examples seem to be Italian, so it is a way of following the development
of scripts and illumination styles and tracing influences from other parts
of Europe. I managed to pick up my copy from a street vender, but I
believe the publisher's price is 30 or 35 Euros.


3: "Miniatur del '400 a San Marco" by Magnolia Scudieri and Giovanna
Rasario (2003) was published for the Firenze Musei by Giunti Gruppo Editoriale
(no address), ISBN 88-09-03202-0. This accompanied a manuscript exhibition
at San Marco and is valuable for two main reasons: There are a number of
examples of unfinished initial letters, which allow you to see the
stages of work, and there are a number of examples of initial letters which are
decorated with light blue on dark blue acanthus leaves, with shading and
white work creating a three dimentional look.


The first book on the list can be bought through amazon.com ( link on right side bar)I am still trying to track down where to find the other two but I suspect abebooks will be a good source.

1 comment:

Racaire said...

book 1 "Illuminated Manuscripts and Their Makers" is also available at Amazon.de
After I read this recommendations I ordered it and the book arrived today - my opinion:
'this book is really great'

Thanks for submitting your masters recommendations :)