A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

a try on standard secretary hand and cadels


For quite some time I had been thinking about studying a new hand and having a try on doing cadels. When Bridget gave me an AoA assignment for winter coronation I thought "now or never". So I set down many evenings right before and during the christmas holidays and practiced first the standard secretary hand. It took me some time to get the angles of my nib right, to be able to write the beautiful thin strocks which are part of some letters, especially the h and the d. Once I felt pretty comfortable with the scribt I started to research cadels. Unfortunatly I did not find many well described examples or at least good picture of it, so I decided to keep to the describtion in my David Harris book.

And here is the resulting AoA from my efforts. It is not easy to see but I illuminated the cadels a bit with some goldpaint as I htink everybody should have some gold on their first scroll. It might as well be their last one, enjoy!
Thanks for the book recomondation...it is now on my "Need to have" list!

6 comments:

Merlyn Gabriel said...

lovely!!!!

bridget

Lia de Thornegge said...

That is really quite beautiful and I am very jealous. *sigh* I wish I could write as well as that.

Elmsley Rose said...

this work is just beautiful :-)

Elmsley Rose said...

Do you know about Bill Hildebrandt's book "Calligraphic Flourishing - A New Approach" which has several chapters on cadels?
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byorg/gbw/news/gbw106/gbw10613.html
describes the book very well.

Best regards

Elmsley Rose said...

H'ok.
Since that link doesn't seem to work,
here it is as a TinyUrl, so it all fits on this little page


http://tinyurl.com/33duk3

Merlyn Gabriel said...

If you type in the author's name into the amazon.com box on the side bar , this book will show up!

Thank-you for sharing, it is always great to get new book reccomendations!

-bridget