A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Verdigris

I'm currently working on a scroll and rather fancy using period pigments as far as possible. I've ruled out orpiment due to the toxicity and non-compatibility with other pigments, but have already used vermilion and am hoping it doesn't turn black. I haven't heard of any problems with lapis so I hope that will be ok, but I wondered whether you would advise for or against using verdigris. I know that in the long term it can dissolve cellulose, and in the short term can turn brown or black. Any advice? I have malachite but it's not quite the right shade. Would you use the verdigris or malachite anyway or mix something up with artificial pigments?

1 comment:

Merlyn Gabriel said...

Hi Ygraine,
I confess to know very little about using period pigments, but Master Ranthulfr Asparlundr does.
http://www.randyasplund.com/browse/tournpg/tipg5.html

His email address should be on the contacts page and he is awesome about answering such questions. Very knowledgable and personable. The other person I know who has been working with pigments is Maeva, who sometimes posts here, maybe she can help.

Bridget