A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Advice Needed



Greetings,

As this is only my second scroll and I need some advice from those with loads more experience than myself. If you look at the pic of the (unfinished) scroll, you will see that the green leaves at the bottom, do not match the ones at the top (too much pigment at the bottom). I only got a hang of the dratted thing half way up!

Can anyone tell me how I can get the bottom to look more like the top without piling on layers of paint that would affect the current uniformity of texture?

Many thanks.

P.S. if anyone wants to know its based on the Bruges borders of the Simon Marmion Book of Hours of the 1580s in which the leaves had very light washes of colour rather than deep pigment.

3 comments:

Racaire said...

it looks for me like you used more white in the leaves of the upper part of your scroll
just my five cents :)

Merlyn Gabriel said...

How I fix my shading mistakes is by using a damp brush to 'remix' the painton the paper and push it around. When I have gotten the look I more or less want I fix it up further by adding additional paint afterwards to dry.This works well enough if A: the paper is thick enough to sustain this method of rewetting ( not too wet though) and B: you are using a water solubule paint. This will not work with acrylic paints because once they are dry they are dry forever but the good side of that is you can then just paint over them.

A very extreme method would be to VERY gently using a really sharp blade, scrape teh offending pain off and start again but you need to be incredibly good at this method and very exacting because scraping breaks the paper's fibers and leads to spidering if you scrape too wide over the area.It requires using VERY thick paint with very little water for a repaint. I have done this, I don't reccomend it for beginners if you really want to use the work afterwards.

One rule of painting, at least with water colours, is that it is easier to work from light to dark rather than the other way around. So in shading it is actually better to lay the light colour down first and then darken it accordingly with layers afterwards.

I don't know if this is a period method or not and perhaps if anyone does they'd chime in. But this is a water colour painter's technique. Generally I tend to lay the middle colour down over all then shade or highlight as needed but I am not great at this technique.

hope this helps a bit,
Bridget

Melisende Fitzwalter said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually haven't used any white at all - the gouache was heavily diluted.

I shall attempt to lift off excess pigment tonight. If that fails, I shall have to turn to white!

Thanks
Melisende