A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

My first scroll...

I just finished my first scroll for Lady Livia, a good friend of mine and a member of my shire - I hope you like it :)
(the photo isn't very good but I have to wait for daylight to take a better one - the scroll isn't perfect at all but I think it is a good first scroll for a good friend)

...any suggestion for the transport of the scroll to university?
(it's ~ 31,0 x 43,5 cm and I go by plane)

4 comments:

Camele0pard said...

I must be misunderstanding you - this can't possibly be the first scroll you've ever made? (If it is, then I'm afraid I must hate you just a little.)
I'm escpecially impressed by the shading on the strawberries, flowers and dragon. The whitework is also superb.

Merlyn Gabriel said...

Yeah, I can attest....it is the first scroll and it is impressive.

transport, it flat between cardboard.Put it in your hand luggage if it fits.

Racaire's shading is very impressive...

and I hope she will do more work for the kingdom!!! *hint*hint*

-bridget

Racaire said...

@camele0pard: yeah, first scroll, but I was a tin miniatur painter some years ago (to proof it: http://www.racaire.at/zinn/zinn.html - Warhammer 40K Chaos :D - sorry, a very old part of my homepage)

@bridget: the gouache gold paint is rather thick and I am afraid that a cardboard could also damage the surface of the "gold paint" - what do you think about baking paper (with a very smooth surface) between the cardboard and the scroll?

Racaire said...

btw. I still think its easier to embroider a scroll than to do illumination and calligraphy ...
(even if its maybe not very "A" it would be very funny to make one)