A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Friday, October 10, 2008

I haz a new toy...




This was a gracious and totally unexpected gift from Lord Matthew Baker.


I'd admired his lady's writing slope at a previous event, and he presented me my own at Raglan.

It has room for an inkhorn, and holes for a three pens. You can see the holes at the top of the slope, close to my bottle of oakgall ink.

I've now put it to good use on a couple of short pieces, that I can put online sometime after next week.

Does anyone else have any clever ideas for keeping books up close where you can copy from them? I've propped two books up on the windowsill here, but more secure suggestions are welcome!

4 comments:

Aryanhwy merch Catmael said...

I usually just prop my books up with other books. There's always going to be just the right selection of sizes and thicknesses for me to get just the angle I need.

My problem is when my exemplar is on the laptop monitor and the screensaver keeps kicking in. :)

Merlyn Gabriel said...

I use an art easel ( i can't remember how to spell that word in English any more) for propping up books, you can get small table top easels pretty inexpensive at "dollar"shops. Or Music stands work well as well, if the books are not too heavy.

Awesome gift and it looks fabulous.
YAY for you!!

Melisende Fitzwalter said...

Try looking for Recipe-book holders from cookware shops. I saw one once which was made of wrought-iron and had a heavy chain and weight to hold the page open and side-clips.

Trinite Ducalon said...

Isn't that slope lovely! I have one as well, but use it in my lap when I don't feel like sitting out in the conservatory by my lonesome. I scan the image I want to work from and print out a page, which I can tape up anywhere or tuck away or underneath... and I then don't have to worry about me books!