A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

medieval ships

Trin mentioned to me the other day that she was looking for more pictures of medieval ships (or rather, more medieval pictures of medieval ships). I just found two today in a book on Icelandic MSs I got from the library, Jónas Kristjánsson, Handritaspegill (Hið íslenska bókmenntaféleg, 1993).

Unfortunately, neither scan I took turned out the greatest, but I didn't want to scan at a higher DPI since the images are already pretty big.

ship

This is from p. 89; I can't find a date for it unfortunately.

ship

This is from p. 131; it's from Árnastofnun á Íslandi, AM 673 a III 4to: Teiknibókin, and it's 15th C.

2 comments:

Ysabella-Maria said...

There's another one from Jónsbók, GKS 3269a 4to. Árni Magnússon Institute. It's reproduced on page 31 of The Manuscripts of Iceland (ISBN 9979-819-88-X) published by the Árni Magnússon Institute. The ship is an illustration within a versal.

It's quite an interesting book - I'll try to photograph some of the illuminations over the next few days and post them here.

Trinite Ducalon said...

Totally gizzy! Thanks!