A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Monday, November 10, 2008

period scroll wordings

At University this past weekend Lord Thomas Flamanc was inducted into the Order of the Panache, with this scroll being given in recognition of this fact:



As Genevieve found out when reading the scroll out in court, it takes a bit of ingenuity to figure out where to breath in order to keep all the clauses of a single sentence together! I hadn't realized until she read it just how much text there really was here...

Anyway, the text was adapted from the text of a mid-15th century grant of arms found at http://verysleepy.itgo.com/grants.htm. This page has many different grants, all of which are variations on the same type of wording, and I really enjoy taking pieces and adapting it to whatever my current project is, so I thought I'd pass the link on so that others could use it too if they wanted.

The full documentation for the scroll can be found here: http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/candi/thomas.html.

1 comment:

Genevieve la flechiere said...

Thank you for posting the source! Robert and I both love detailed period wordings.
I hadn't intended it to become quite such a comic experience, but Raphe said when I handed the scroll to HRM and it was so small, it seemed very funny. I need to read in advance more often for pieces like this.