A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Latin for scribes

I like translating my scroll texts into Latin for a couple of reasons. First, it's more period; only in a very small place at the end of our period would it have been plausible for a document of the nature of a scroll text be written in modern English. Second, most medieval manuscripts are in Latin, and the visual aesthetic of the two languages differ, because of their different patterns of letter distribution, and I find that with the same design done with Latin text and with English text, the Latin one just looks better. Third, sometimes the recipient of the scroll is someone who is not a native English speaker, and it seems a bit strange to me to give them a scroll in English as opposed to something in their native language. Giving one in Latin is a good compromise, given the first point I mentioned.

Anyway, poor Genevieve has been on the receiving end of some of these texts, in that she's been the one to read them out in court. She asked me awhile back if I could make a list of the Latin names for various numbers and numerals, so that when reading a text in Latin aloud in court, the dates could also be read in Latin. Then, today I translated a knighting text into Latin, partly from scratch and partly cobbled together from other scroll texts I'd translated, and it occurred to me that it might be useful to collect all of this information into a single page:

Latin for scribes


I'm still working on adding the rest of the numbers, and adding the translations I've done of Lindquistringes texts and the knighthood text I translated today, but I hope to finish that up over the weekend. And I'll continue to add texts to it as I translate them. Feel free to nab whatever you find useful!

-Aryanhwy

3 comments:

Merlyn Gabriel said...

absolutely awesome!

bridget

Merlyn Gabriel said...

I am going to add a perma link on the side bar with this if that's okay with you
b

Aryanhwy merch Catmael said...

Fine by me!