A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Lia's two latest scrolls

Hello lords and ladies.

It's been a while since I posted, mostly because it's been a while since I was actively scribing. However, for last coronation, being 12th Night 2009, I made a Queen's Order of Courtesy scroll for our lovely signet, Trinite Ducalon. It was an elaborate fake-out as I got the assignment without a name, then when HRM Fiona found it was on my table she wrote me and told me the name to use, and to ignore further instructions from Trinite. I was soon contacted again by Lady Trinite and given the fake-out name.

I did the gilding, then the event was upon me, and I had to travel to it with a not-yet-finished scroll. It was signed and handed out in court in proper order, and right after court I swooped in on Trinite to take it back and finish it at home.

This time I added colours, and penwork details. I think it came out beautifully in the end. I chose a style which I particularily like and which looks quite light and girly. I thought that suited a Queen's Order of Courtesy award. The inspiration is from MS Digby 36, a mid 15th-century English manuscript at the Bodleian Library.

And finally, images of the scroll itself. I uploaded the final photo here, but more detailed shots can be found in my album of illuminations (first picture, and the following handful). I sent it on via SCA-mail to Trinite and she received it at Crown Tournament this month past, finally.

---

After I finished the Queen's Order of Courtesy scroll for Trinite I accepted another assignment for the principality of Nordmark. It was the Golden Ribbon award (service) for my good friend Viscountess Filippa Birgersdotter. I'm happy about this one as well, although my miniature painting still needs lots of practice. The historiated initial contains my version of a photo where Filippa is presenting Their Highnesses of Nordmark with mead. It shows her sporting spirit with the thumbs up and it makes me giggle. I only started taking photos after most of the illumination was done and only the miniature remained, they can be found in my album as well, starting here, and showing the finished scroll here.

---

If any of you fine gentles spot anything in the execution of these scrolls that you might have pointers about, please let me know - I am always interested in learning and improving, and notes on my work will not make me like it less :)

5 comments:

Melisende Fitzwalter said...

Gorgeous!

Lia de Thornegge said...

Thanks :)

Trinite Ducalon said...

sneaky, sneaky Queen... sneaky, sneaky scribe... and I'm tickled pink, have the beautiful little thing framed and sitting on the credenza where I can look at it most often! Thank you Lia!

Trinite Ducalon said...

...and the golden ribbon is gorgeous! Verra nice!

Lia de Thornegge said...

You are most welcome, Trinite. And, thank you :)