A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Laurel Scroll - a start

In case somebody missed it, Helwig Ulfsdotter was elevated at Midsummer Coronation and became a Companion of the Order of the Laurel. I have the task of doing her scroll.

Given that I had one sheet of vellum, donated to me by Mistress Jaelle at the last Coronation, I decided that this was the right project for the material.

I did not decide on a design until quite recently, because I wanted to be sure that it would be in a style that appealed to Helwig, I waited until she was informed by a writ of summons at Double Wars that she was to sit vigil at Coronation. I showed her the grants from the page: http://verysleepy.itgo.com/grants.htm

The Tallow Chandler's Guild's Grant of 1456 made Helwig say: "Oj. Oj. Oj." upon first viewing, so that was the one I picked.

The text was adapted, slightly, from one version found on a site with scroll wordings based on period texts: http://www.angelfire.com/pa/allthat2/scriptorium/wordings.html
The text we chose is the first Laurel elevation text, which is based on a Charter for the foundation of the University of Heidelberg from 1386.

This is all wildly out of period for Helwig's persona, but for the later period grants there is very little in the way of decorations and she wants a scroll with illuminations in the borders.

To make a long story short, I did not have time to finish it for court, but I did finish the calligraphy and Their Majesties Marcus and Cecilia signed it for me to finish and deliver to Helwig personally upon completion. I also include the first photo of the scroll in-progress, as Duchess Nerissa suggested I keep you guys updated and show you my progress.

2 comments:

Trinite Ducalon said...

...and such a beautiful start it is! Can't wait to watch it progress!

Melisende Fitzwalter said...

yay! excited! We get to see the progress!