A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The British Library MS collection

The British Library's collection of digitized MSs is an excellent place for finding inspiration, but I used to find finding the right search engine enormously difficult, until I finally went ahead and bookmarked it: http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminatedmanuscripts/searchSimple.asp. I generally search "manuscript and images" for "puzzle" to get examples of penwork initials (and other ones come up as well), and I now have an exemplar or two for almost every letter of the alphabet. I'm slowly working my way through them; half the fun is designing a text for each different letter!

While browsing through the list again today, I found an image which made me immediately "Oh, Lindquistringes!":



This is BL MS Harley 3392, f. 1, Italian, 2nd half of the 15th C. Just change the circle and the Q into a dragon with a gem, and you've got a perfect Lindquistringes design!

3 comments:

Nerissa said...

Gasp! Looks like someone left their coffee mug on the page

Merlyn Gabriel said...

yeah I saw that too...was like O_o lol

Trinite Ducalon said...

That's funny! Brother... have you seen my cappuccino?