A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

scroll from Crown Tourney

I've been busy lately focusing on penwork; the British Library's Simple Search (for 'puzzle letter' or 'puzzle initial') has given me a wealth of material to work from. I finally feel like I "get" basic blue and red penwork -- which of course meant, last month, that it was time for me to expand.

I'd come across this page from a BL Manuscript (Egerton 2633, which is a French translation of Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy done in the Netherlands, how cool is that?), which intrigued me because of it simplicity and its color scheme:



I've never seen what is apparently brown penwork flourishes before. Even though the entire design is very simple, and the color scheme rather subdued, every time I flipped through my exemplars it caught my eye and I finally decided to use it for an AoA for Crown Tourney:



I'm really happy with how this one turned out (except for the filling in of the lower part of the initial; it got too dark/dense).

The text is adapted from "Of the chief conditions and qualityes in a wayting gentylwoman" English 16th C, originally found for use with the Scarborough Faire Performing Company History, Customs, and Manners SAPA 2000 by Susan Von Rudolph, and available online. It reads:

Foremost amongst the qualities of a lady be that she
Be good and discreete.
Flee affectation or curiositie
Have a good grace in al her doings
Be of good condicions and wel brought up
Not to be haughtie, envious, yltunged, lyght, contentious, nor untowardlye
Have the vertues of the minde, as wisdome, justice, noblenesse of courage, temperance, contingency, sobermoode, etc.
All these and more are shewn by Luna de la Lorenzo, wherefore we make her a lady by awarding her arms, on April 10, a.s. xliv.

(Originally I had a few more lines, but as I did the calligraphy I realized they wouldn't all fit so I omitted them).

All in all, quite pleased with this one.

4 comments:

Lia de Thornegge said...

That looks really good Aryanhwy. Yes, it's a simple scheme, but it is striking and pretty. I'd be proud to have that on my wall!

Melisende Fitzwalter said...

Its a lovely rendering you've done there! I have seen brown ink before, most notably as the petals of a rose design incorporated in a 'P' Versal.

Melisende Fitzwalter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aryanhwy merch Catmael said...

Melisande, is that MS available on the web anywhere? I'd love to see a picture of it so I can compare it to the BL MS (and perhaps also copy from it).