A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

EDIT - added scan Viscounty from Insulae Draconis coronet tourney

This Coronet tourney marked a new step for me - doing a peerage scroll, as the first viscounty for Insulae Draconis was handed out.
The first prince and princess requested a charter layout, distributed by the hand of their Majesties (as there were no previous princes and princesses for it to come from) and an authentic wording (w00t!).
They also asked that there be space on the scroll for all event attendees to sign it, as witnesses of the event, modelled on a 10th c. charter (an intriguing document in its own right).
Since their Majesties Ulfr and Caoimhe couldn't attend the event in Ireland, they will sign the scroll in October, when they attend Crown, and I can ship it to their Excellencies' new home in An Tir. (Sadly for us, her Excellency was offered an excellent role in academia in her first homeland, and their stepping-down was their last event in Drachenwald.)
The exemplar I chose was the Domesday book, the copy kept at the Public Record Office. There are only very small photos of exemplar pages online, so I searched through several, and enlarged and enhanced them to try to see distinctive features of the hand.
Here's the two I used most often as models - to make it big enough, I put the Westminster text (left) on my laptop desktop image, and kept the computer on!







This scroll would not look completely like the original, because the one I was making was not in Latin, and didn't use the dozens of abbreviations that the Domesday book does. I discussed adding Latin text with Robert, and decided a single language, even if it wasn't historic, was better than the quotes - exerpts of Latin in an English text are correct for 15th c texts, but not one this early.
The features I aimed to reproduce were:
- the early Carolingian hand, with a few variations, esp. the diagonal-ascender 'd' and the symbol for 'and' which looks like a large arabic numeral 7.
- the spacing - this spacing looks downright leisurely, as if you don't have the entire country to survey! Of course, this is the good copy, not the working draft.
I didn't quite achieve the spaciousness of the script, but I did work on it, trying a couple of different line spacings before committing to one that put more space between lines than within lines (4mm between, 3mm line height for body of letters)
- the odd effect of the 'all caps' - individual names and place names are in what my calligraphy bible calls 'Roman Rustic' capital letters. My 'all caps' weren't very reliable, so I stuck to only putting God's name in all caps, but practicing my capitals to get the hand right.
- putting a red line through the place names! It looks like a modern strikethrough, and I really wasn't sure about this step, but it is the way the place names were 'highlighted' in the original, and so I took a deep breath and did it anyway, and it works.
The text is crafted by my lord Robert of Canterbury, cribbed from the Magna Carta (an excellent early 13th c source!) basically emphasising that the new viscount and viscountess are affirmed in their titles, their current rights and privileges are preserved, and they won't be taxed more than they are already, unless the king needs personal ransoming, in which case, as nobles, they'll have to cough up the money. :-) The full text is on his wiki, Forsooth.
Please do read it, it's lovely, and Lord Asbiorn the herald took great pleasure in reading it in it entirety.
One pic of the scroll - and two scans - I haven't figure out how to combine them yet.
















3 comments:

Racaire said...

the first word that came to my mind: "coooooool" :)

Eva Elisabeth said...

It's beautiful, I wish I had realized that when they were asking for the scroll to be signed that they meant everyone, I assumed they were looking for the Peers or perhaps the Baron's and Baroness'. It was beautiful and I really enjoyed hearing it read aloud.

Will said...

We love it!!!!