A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

remedying a soggy scroll...


A handsome, mostly-finished scroll unfortunately got wet at Insulae Draconis Coronet in August.
Unknown to anyone, the period leather dye used on the herald's folder ran in the light rain - onto the scroll, onto the herald, everywhere. Some ink also ran.
A certain amount of foul language ensued, at least from me.
The orange smears are the leather dye, the grey ones the ink.

SO: I'm looking for advice.
How do I lift the worst of this damage?
This is on parchment, so I have all the options available to me that period scribes did.
So far, my preferred method for lifting blotches is with a thoroughly squeezed out Qtip, to moisten the ink, and lift it without wetting it enough to penetrate more.
Any other thoughts?
Gf

No comments: