A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

How would you create this colour?

Ok, looking for some painterly advice here...

This lovely MS page at V&A (dated 13th c, Germany page from a Gradual) has what I'd call a peacock? cerulean? blue colour in it. It may or may not come across in your screen, but trust me that when I viewed it at the museum - it's not the conventional lapis- or azurite-sourced blue.

When I tried to reproduce this colour from my W&N gouache palette, my ultramarine (which I tend to think of as a 'cool' blue) + assorted additives did not yield anything close to it. To my eye, it looks closest to  W&N's cerulean or cobalt blue (link to a vendor page for palette - your screen's pixelage may vary).

To date, I've tried to stick to colours that I know have precedent in period, even if they are now synthetic versions ie. W&N ultramarine for lapis; alizarin for cadmium; vermilion for...vermilion.

It's not perfect, but to date it's served me very well, and I've rarely found a colour I couldn't reproduce, til now.

So what pigment do you think created this colour?

What would be the best approximation in gouache?

4 comments:

Ailitha & Angela said...

To be honest it looks to me like the blue ink I just bought... that is "Schreibtinte - blau permanent" by Rohrer & Klinger (at Boesner). And if that is no help for you it defenitly looks to me more ultramarine / lapis then any of the other blue colors. :-)

Looking forward to your version of the original!!!

Ari said...

Looks like cerulean to me. (I use Daler Rowney, if it helps.) Generally I use cerulean and ultramarine as my two blues. I have a very dark blue that I mix for rare occasions, but mostly it's just cerulean and ultramarine (or them lightened with white for shading)

Genevieve la flechiere said...

Sigh. It would be one of the expensive ones... cheapest I've found for W&N is £4.50 tube.

Merlyn said...

yep Boesner has it for 7-euro. Schminke brand. but look at it this way 1 tube goes a LONG way.