A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

New book acquisition

I'm still in the hunt for a good alphabet book in Dutch for Gwen, and today's outing included a trip to yet another bookstore in Tilburg: Boekhandel De Slegte. Alas, I didn't find what I was looking for there, but I did find something I wasn't looking for: The Hours of Catherine of Cleves: Devotion, Demons and Daily Life in the Fifteenth Century. It's a 425 page hardcover book with 6 articles by different authors in the first 130 pages, and then more than 100 color plates. It's the exhibit catalog from an exhibit "Catherine's World: Devotion, Demons, and Daily Life in the Fifteenth Century", shown at Museum Het Valkhof in Nijmegen in 2009. The best part: It's 59.99EUR, but the display copy was marked 29.99EUR. So I grabbed that one -- it was in fine condition, even the dustjacket. I took it back to the cash register, the lady said something I didn't quite catch about "this is a display copy, I can't sell it to you", went off, got one of the shrink-wrapped ones, and rang it up at the discounted price! I cannot wait until Gwen is sleeping long enough for me to start browsing through it!

3 comments:

Merlyn said...

that's a lovely book!

Franchesca said...

Sweet!! I want one! :D

Edward de Cantia said...

Yup. De Slegte is an excellent place for good condition second-hand or durplus books. We have one in Enschede, right across the street of my other fav bookstore.