A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Monday, April 16, 2012

A thought for discussion

I've been drafting an article for the principality newsletter, and it got me to remembering something I'd been thinking when working with Egerton 1146: that, despite our writs and scrolls being framed rather than bound, we tend to follow exemplar patterns of one border heavier/thicker than another. What's more, I've found myself, and noted many others doing the same, we tend to favour the verso setup of a thicker left-hand border, rather than the recto. (Vast generalisation, of course, but still). If we completely leave out the side of a border, again, we tend to leave out the right-hand side, privileging the verso layout.

I find this very interesting. Any thoughts? Are we just sinister scribes?

1 comment:

Sara / Aryanhwy said...

I would guess that one reason people favor verso over recto layouts because we read from left to right.

For me, I just go with whatever my exemplar is, a la http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/candi/elenore-panache.html and http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/candi/balduin-aoa.html.