A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Hi all!  Me again!  Here is the painted gold scroll all finished.  It is my first piece since taking a hiatus from illuminating and indeed the entire SCA for several years.  I started doing scrolls in Drachenwald when it was still a principality.  Since then I have done scrolls for The West, The Outlands, Insulae Draconis and more scrolls for Drachenwald as principality and Kingdom than I care to recall.  When I stopped, I had been doing an average of 3 scrolls per month, I was, to say the least, burnt out.  I had lost sight of why I was painting, and why I loved it so.  Two years have gone by... and now, all of a sudden, sparked by an observed conversation about early scrolls I have picked up my brushes again.  I had forgotten how much I simply loved to paint.  In the words of my husband (who was not surprised I started again) I like to write, I like to embroider, but I love to illuminate.

Be careful all you wonderful scribes out there.  Never lose sight of why it is you do this thing in the first place.    Yes you are volunteering your time to make your Society a better one, yes you are giving beauty and joy to deserving gentles, but first and foremost, you are giving yourself joy, knowledge, skills and did I mention joy?

So, from one who forgot, here is my humble reminder and first submission back into the scribal world...

One for the shiny, one for the detail.  Today it wings its way to our loverly Signet Clerk.

Cheers all!  I look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!
Trinite

4 comments:

Ari said...

I hope that's ID Signet; I really do :)

Merlyn said...

This one has already been spoken for. One lucky person in this kingdom is going to squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Lena the Red said...

wow. just wow :)

Trinite Ducalon said...

:-D Thanks guys! Next blank goes to ID Signet, Arianrhod! Promise!