A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

The fun way to make a peer

Some people like to be surprised. Some people like to prepare in advance. Some people who like to be surprised nevertheless would also like to prepare in advance. So, how do you manage this when you want to make someone a peer?

Letters of writs to appear!

When we decided that we would elevate Genevieve to the Pelican, I really, really, really wanted to be able to surprise her. But I also knew that she's the type of person who would care quite a bit about being able to have an appropriate ceremony, to invite her friends and loved ones, etc. But I wanted to surprise her! And so we decided to give her a letter at Winchester Pilgrimage requesting her attendance upon us at Raglan Fair where she would be asked to give her answer. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the writ before I gave it to her, so I can't post it here.

However, it worked so well, we decided to do it again. So about two weeks I ago I wrote this:

And last night, Her Highness Princess Niamh of Nordmark delivered it to Lady Lia (whose work is well known on this blog). I only wish I could've been there myself to give it out, but judging from the reactions I've head so far, it was both a surprise and a delight to many, so I'm quite happy.

The text reads:

Paul and Aryanhwy, king and queen of Drachenwald, to our own dear subject the Honorable Lady Lia de Thornegge, companion of Panache and Courtesy. Know that for the love we bear you and for your accomplishments in the diverse and courtly arts, it is our intent, will, and desire to create you a member of the ancient and honorable Order of the Laurel. If it be your intent, will, and desire to accept this honor and be numbered amongst the members of the aforesaid order, then we command and require you to present your self before us in our University court three months hence. This writ signed by the hand of the queen and delivered by our regent Niamh Princess of Nordmark.

It's similar to the text I used for Genevieve's:

Paul and Aryanhwy, heirs to the throne of Drachenwald, to our own dear cousin the Viscountess Genevieve la flechiere alias Rouge Maunche Herald. Know that for the love we bear you and for the service you have long and tirelessly rendered unto us and ours it is our intent, will, and desire to recognize you amongst the company of your peers as a member of the ancient and honorable Order of the Pelican. If it be your intent, will, and desire to accept this honor and be numbered amongst the members of the aforesaid order, then we command and require you and your household to present yourselves before us in our court at Castle Raglan three months hence.

Being able to write these writs and sign them with my own hand is one of the coolest things.

1 comment:

Lia de Thornegge said...

I really really like my writ, and it was a total surprise, and there will be lots more little surprises along the way, I am certain. But a bit of time to prepare gives me a bit of peace of mind. Thank you so much for taking that into consideration.