A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012





This is the Panache scroll that I made for Lady Ælefwynne of Eoforwic that was given by Their Majesties at Kingdom University 2012.
The illumination was made by me – the calligraphy was done by Baroness Margaret Walsingham.
It is based on a page from the Eberler Bible (Basle, 1464) and I found the inspiration in an awesome book ”The most beautiful Bibles” printed by Taschen (which also means the book was very decently priced).
This illumination was a bit funny to work with since it was so much darker in its colours than usual.
I ended up working more with shading than whitework!
Materials used: Gouache and gold leaf on pergamanata.
I took pictures of the published pages from this bible and sent to Baroness Margaret so that she could copy the calligraphy style and its little extra oddities so all the mix with red and little letters outside in the margin are all specific to this manuscript.

2 comments:

Lena the Red said...

Lovely!

Merlyn said...

I just love this!