

Some short pieces I did in the fall:
Left is a congratulations note to a new knight in Ealdormere, Wat of Sarum. Robert sent a bag of period coins via a friend, and I penned the note using Robert's text. After taking this pic I threaded a fingerbraided cord into the fold of the page, and Robert sealed it in wax with his signet ring.
Right is a pension from HE Vitus to Robert, as thanks to Robert for serving as his herald while he and Giuliette were V&V.
I want to improve my lower-case D and P in the secretary hand, but I can see they're better than this time last year.
Gf
3 comments:
Both of these are lovely! This type of hand is one of my favorites. What type of nib do you use? Or do you use quills you've cut yourself?
-Aryanhwy
Thanks.
Not yet onto quills - have cut a few and played with them a bit, but got more consistent results (ie. was happy to give them away) w/ metal nibs. More practice needed, I know...
I'm using some steel and/or gold-plated nibs - Leonardt no. 5 round is around 1mm wide. For Leonardt, sizes run 1-6, large to small.
The Brause & Co. steel nibs are helpfully marked in metric, so a 3/4 is 0.75mm.
I collected dozens of feathers from swans and Canada geese on the Thames, when we lived in Reading a couple of years ago. Hopefully they won't dry out too quickly before I can use them.
I see a huge improvement in your calligraphy since the first examples that I can remember.
This is what I love about keeping copies of your first works, it helps to see how far one has progressed.
cheers
B
Post a Comment