This weekend at the calligraphy workshop in Isengau, while the participants were practicing their newly found calligraphic skills, I sat down with an exemplar and gave penwork another stab. And it worked! I picked a design that had to be altered very little in order to fit the design I had in mind, and I think that was the trick: If I try to design something on my own, odds are it won't look nice, but if I can mostly copy something, then it turns out pretty nifty.
So here's the original:
This is British Library MS Burney 320, fol. 2.
And here's my interpretation:
The capital in the exemplar is actually a 'Q', but I moved the tail over a bit and decided I could call it a 'G'. I'm really happy with how it turned out!
And I also know exactly which letter I want to try next:
(This is BL MS Burney 252, fol. 4v). Isn't that awesome?!
4 comments:
this is awesome!!! I adore this style of work, it's so simple yet so complex and so much fun to do.
that A is freaking crazy!!!!
cheers
bridget
you are followingin a grand tradition
http://dragonscribes.blogspot.com/2007/11/ive-been-asked-to-post-pictures-of.html
Great work!!!
Yep I totally agree that it is alot of fun to do!
Great work! :)
Post a Comment